Do you have an oddly shaped toenail due to an injury or previous nail surgery?
Do you have ridges or discolouration on your toenail?
Or just don’t like the appearance of your toenail?
KeryFlex can help
KeryFlex is a cosmetic solution for unsightly toenails. It is immediate and provides a significant change in appearance in only a matter of minutes. The KeryFlex toenail is light, flexible and natural.
Flexibility is important compared to rigid acrylic toenails which don’t bend with the natural movement of toes and feet and lead to further toenail trauma.
It is also safe to use on human skin and doesn’t cause irritation or further damage to your nail or skin, allowing your toenail underneath to grow naturally.
It is also non-porous and will not allow moisture to penetrate between your natural nail and prosthetic nail. This helps prevent a moist environment which can further exacerbate any existing fungal toenail infections.
KeryFlex can also be used during most antifungal treatments providing a cosmetically pleasing appearance.
What is KeryFlex?
KeryFlex is a painless, in-clinic application that will restore the appearance of your toenail. KeryFlex is a safe treatment that is exclusive to Podiatrists only. It restores the appearance of unsightly toenails using a composite patented resin gel.
This patented resin creates a flexible, non-porous nail plate that allows the real nail to grow in a healthy environment. The KeryFlex nail bonds to the nail tissue and bed to provide an exceptionally realistic looking toenail. It transforms an unsightly, disfigured nail, providing an immediate cosmetic improvement.
We recommend having more than 15% toenail tissue present for application of KeryFlex to ensure it lasts 6-8 weeks. However, it can be applied to areas with less toenail tissue is present, but will last for 3-4 weeks.
The KeryFlex Nail Restoration System consists of three components:
- KeryFlex Bonding Agent optimizes the adhesion of the KeryFlex Resin to the natural nail.
- KeryFlex Resin is a lightweight, medical-grade gel used to build up the nail and allows for sculpting and contouring the new nail
- KeryFlex Sealant is a UV curing topcoat to seal the KeryFlex nail making it non-porous and non-permeable.
What makes KeryFlex different
KeryFlex is designed to flex with the movement of the toes, minimizing lifting and further trauma to natural nail and provides superior durability and comfort
KeryFlex does not allow moisture to permeate and get between natural nail and prosthetic nail.
A widely used anti-fungal Piroctone Olamine is formulated into KeryFlex to help retard the growth of existing fungal infections.
KeryFlex will not irritate the nail bed or surrounding skin the way acid containing salon systems can.
Nail restoration in a medical grade sanitary setting assures that clients are being treated in a setting that does not allow for cross contamination the way salons might.
KeryFlex uses a composite patented resin gel to construct a reason nail
Responsive to a specific wavelength of ultraviolet light
Lasts 6-10 weeks*
In under 30mins the appearance of your toenail drastically improves
*If less than 15% of toenail tissue is present will significantly reduce
Why I love KeryFlex
In my first few years of clinical practice I saw many patients with damaged toenails who were just looking for a cosmetic solution which did not involve using acrylic. Whether it was for summertime, their wedding day or just something to improve the appearance of their toenails to boost their self-esteem.
It was frustrating coming up with solutions or recommending products which I knew looked unappealing and would further damage the underlying toenail (acrylic). As clinician I felt that was failing some of my patients.
Then KeryFlex Nail Restoration System was developed.
Voted as one of the Top Ten innovations in podiatric care by foot specialists around the world. Its safe, quick and natural.
It allows a cosmetic solution that doesn’t compromise on the health of your toenail.
In a matter of minutes there is complete toenail transformation.
So, if you have been hiding your toenail for years either by using acrylic or wearing enclosed shoes: KeryFlex is the solution for you.
Not only will it restore your toenail, it will restore your confidence and give you freedom.
At our foot clinics, I will take the time to sculpt and build a natural KeryFlex toenail for you.
Thin, lightweight, flexible and contouring to your toe but mostly importantly beautiful.
The journey to good looking toenails starts now.
Dr Rudo Makuyana
Benefits of KeryFlex
Seals the nail bed
A flexible, nonporous artificial nail, allowing remaining natural nail to regrow
Possible improvement of nail infection via non-permeable resin nail barrier
Providing optimal cosmesis for non-treatable dystrophic nail disorders
Providing optimal cosmesis for non-treatable dystrophic nail disorders
Lasts 6-10 weeks
After you have decided if KeryFlex is the right treatment for you, the damaged nail is trimmed and filed down as much as possible using podiatry tools and specialised water spray drill.
Once the nail is prepared, the process of restoring the appearance of your nail begins by applying a honey like resin. This is hardened by an ultraviolet light which is then moulded, shaped and filed smooth. Lastly, a sealant will be applied and cured with the light one final time.
In most cases, the procedure can be completed in 30 minutes or less but depends on the condition of your nail and number of nails needing to be restored.
Before and After
The cost below is for KeryFlex appplication for the big toenails which are the mostly commonly treated in our Sydney foot clinics.
For lesser toenails or more than two, please contact that the clinic for a customised price.
Please note these prices apply to Keryflex treatment only. If you require additional podiatry treatment additional fees will incur.
What you need to know
Applied in same day appointment. Sometimes if your toenail is severely thickened you may require an additional appointment for filing and reducing the toenail first then application of KeryFlex
How long does it take
30minutes to an hour depending on number of toenails.
Before your appointment
Remove all nail polish, shellac and artificial nails.
- Post traumatic nail changes
- Horizontal ridges / Beau’s Lines
- Brittle and splitting nails
- Discoloured nails
- After nail laser procedure
KeryFlex Nail Restoration is not recommended for the following patients:
- Ingrown toenails / infections
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Arterial insufficiency
- Suspicious pigmented lesions on nail
- Sensitivity or allergy to any of the listed KeryFlex ingredients
after your appointment
For optimal results it’s important to follow the following instructions:
- Do not cut or clip a Keryflex restored nail. Use only a nail file at the tip of the nail to maintain a normal nail length
- You can apply nail polish, but we recommend not applying shellac on top of the Keryflex nail.
- Crack or chipping at the tip of the Keryflex may occur 2-3 weeks after initial application and is considered normal wear and tear. This maybe due to friction against your shoes and the growth of the natural nail. File down any cracks or chips. If you are a runner, dancer or go to the gym daily let your Podiatrist know as this may shorten the time your Keryflex will last.
- If you are planning to use a topical antifungal product after a Keryflex application, place it around the edges of the nail and on the cuticles. Do not apply it directly to the surface of the nail. Do not use topical antifungal products within 2 days of your next Keryflex application.
- If lifting of the Keryflex is going to occur it will happen in the first 3 days of application. Lifting will occur and is expected when a very small natural nail segment is present. If you have less than 15% of natural nail left to attach to a Keryflex nail, you will likely need to return 3-4 weeks to have a new a new Keryflex application. Keryflex will not fully adhere to the nail bed if there is no natural nail present and does not guarantee proper adherence. However, this can still be a cosmetic solution for a special event or vacation
- Keryflex reapplication should be every 6-8 weeks after the initial application. However, everyone is unique and will depend on how fast your toenail grows and your level of physical activity.
Frequently asked questions
Keryflex application for one toenail is 20mins, 2 toenails for 40mins.
Reapplication varies according to different patients, usually 6-8 weeks.
No, at least 15% of natural nail is recommended.
Few allergies have been reported for the materials used in KeryFlex. Talk to your Podiatrist if you have any questions.
The nail is removed by the podiatrist with a dremel, until it is no longer attached to natural nail.
No, KeryFlex is a cosmetic procedure for managing onychomycosis and other nail disorders.
Acrylic nails are rigid and do not bend with the natural movement of the toes. As a result, acrylic nails applied to the toenails can cause damage to the layer of tissue under the nail (nail bed). Acrylic nails are also applied using strong acids which irritate the nail bed and can further damage the existing nail.
KeryFlex is flexible, yet durable, and designed specifically for the toes. It’s free of harsh acids used in salon systems. Keryflex is non-porous and will not allow moisture to permeate and get between the natural and prosthetic nails. KeryFlex’s medical grade resin is impregnated with the hydroxypyridone antifungal ingredient Piroctone.
A KeryFlex nail is unaffected by acetone, nail polishes or detergents. Nail polish maybe applied immediately after the KeryFlex sealant is cured and the remaining dispersion film has been removed with alcohol.
We don’t recommend using Shellac.
Yes. While KeryFlex is not a treatment for fungal nails, a topical antifungal may be applied around the cuticle area. A KeryFlex nail is non-porous and impermeable so application directly to the nail surface is not recommended. Application of any liquid products under the proximal tip should be avoided.
Yes. A KeryFlex nail may be applied immediately AFTER laser therapy and in between treatments. It is NOT recommended to laser through a KeryFlex nail.
Friction against shoes may cause a KeryFlex nail to chip, crack and reduce its overall integrity. Comfortable & properly fit shoes are recommended.
If lifting of the KeryFlex nail is going occur, it will typically occur within the first 3 days after application. Lifting will occur and is to be expected when a very small nail natural segment is present.
It is recommended that patients refrain from using any products on the natural nail 2 days prior to a KeryFlex procedure.
read this next
Not all nail conditions are fungal toenails. It’s important to make sure that you have the correct diagnosis when treating your toenails as it can help improve treatment outcomes. Learn about other conditions that can effect your toenails.